Friday, April 22, 2011

That tackle made me mad, so I wrote about it

As we all know by now, Steve Zakuani is most likely out for the rest of the Season with two broken bones in his leg thanks to a bad, bad tackle from Brian Mullan.

There are a few main points I want to get. First off, the tackle was terrible. Just flat out malicious. Mullan lost the ball, and was mad the referee didn't call a foul. That's fine. The reaction of then flying into the player who has the ball halfway up his leg, over the ball, with your studs up is a tad bit of an over reaction...*saracasm*

After the game Mullan stated "I’m sorry for Steve. It was never my intention to injure him in the least. It’s a tackle that I’ve done hundreds of times and would probably do again. I had no intention of hurting him. It’s a freak, freak thing, and I apologize and wish Steve a speedy recovery"

The key part here is the "...It's a tackle that I've done hundreds of times and probably do again."

The sad thing is, its probably true that its a tackle that he has done alot, although perhaps not with as much maliciousness behind. MLS is a physical league. However, it steps past being just a physical league when tackles like this one today happen all the time. I for one am sick of it. The league allows teams to punish attacking players by fouling them. It is a tactic, but MLS has allowed it to a point where going in for bone crunching tackles is considered normal. These tackles happen to often, and many times are just yellow cards. If Mullan had made the same tackle and not broken Zakuani's leg, does he still get the red? Any one who has followed MLS for a good period of time knows that is very likely that it would have just been a yellow, especially given how early in the game it was.

Mullan deserves at a minimum, a 5 game ban. Knowing MLS, it will probably be 3. In the end, 1 player helped out the rest of the league by taking out an attacking player for the rest of the season. MLS, I really hope you see what is going on here and act appropriately.

No comments:

Post a Comment