Wednesday, April 13, 2011

The "what happens when Montero can play again?" debate

I think a huge question floating around right now is what happens when Montero is 100% fit again? The O’Brian White-Mauro Rosales combo has worked well for the last two games. What if Montero can start on Saturday? Now there’s the million dollar question.

Sigi has been a bit coy on what his plans are. I think the two most widely accepted ideas are to play Montero and White upfront with Rosales sliding over to right mid, or dropping into the center. Next big question: If Rosales plays in the center, what does Sigi do with Brad Evans? As much as Evans has been a big contributor to this team, especially in year one, I don’t think he is much better than a MLS journeyman level player. He is good, but nothing special. You could make a case to move him out to right mid, but that is Erik Friberg’s natural position, and I think he has shown well in his time there, so he should keep his spot.
These are just my thoughts, I really have no idea what the lineup will look like on Saturday. Since Montero has been out, I have a sneaking suspicion he won’t start and we will see the exact same line up as we had in Chicago Fire game. He will probably come on as a sub for Rosales around the 60th-70th minute. Ultimately, I think there are some big unknowns here, once Montero can start again. We all saw the failed Freddie Ljungberg experiment when we kept moving him from center, to the right, to forward, and jostling other players like Jaqua and Evans as well. I really want to avoid a similar scenario.

Personally, I think Rosales is the missing puzzle piece. He has played quite well the last few games. He brings some creativity that we haven't really had outside of Montero. Once Montero is back on the field, how these two players link up could be a force to reckon with. Hopefully everything works out and we start scoring goals left and right and picking up the 3 points each game.How Sigi manages this situation can really affect our success. It will be interesting to see how this unfolds over the 2 or 3 games.

Feel free to let me know your thoughts below, or on my twitter @Sounderforever

Stay tuned for a preview of the upcoming Union game which will be posted on Thursday.

No comments:

Post a Comment